AAA Travel Protection
Allianz Global Assistance
What is travel protection? How is it different from travel insurance? Why buy coverage? What does it cover? These are just a few of the questions you might have as you explore the advantages of buying travel protection for your next trip.
Please refer to the Frequently Asked Questions below for information regarding the travel protection insurance to make an informed decision.
For additional product information, please call 1-888-579-3819, 24 hours a day, seven days a week or visit www.allianztravelinsurance.com.
AAA Members Get Free Travel Accident Insurance for AAA Travel
As a AAA member, you receive Travel Accident Insurance coverage automatically when your trip is arranged and purchased through your AAA Travel Agency. Coverage levels are $100,000 for Classic, $300,000 for Plus and $500,000 for Premier.
[ More Info ]
Q: Why do I need travel protection?
You need travel protection because it lets you travel with a strong sense of security. Travel protection insures your financial investment (up to the amount of your policy limits) should your trip be cancelled or interrupted for a covered reason, and it guards your health in case of medical emergencies. Here are a few of the benefits you'll enjoy:
- Reimbursement of the non-refunded portion of your travel investment if your trip is cancelled or interrupted for a covered reason
- 24-hour access to emergency medical referrals and assistance
- Reimbursement for unexpected travel expenses
- Protection in case of medical emergencies
- Arrangement of and payment for Emergency medical transportation
Q: What does travel protection cover?
The insurance component of travel protection assures that you'll be reimbursed for non-refundable financial expenses associated with a cancelled or interrupted trip due to a covered reason, lost baggage, or medical emergencies. (Terms, conditions and exclusions apply, depending upon the plan you purchase). Coverage may include the following:
- Trip Cancellation provides reimbursement for non-refundable trip payments and deposits if you must cancel your trip for a covered reason before you get started.
- Trip Interruption provides reimbursement for the lost pre-paid, non-refundable trip payments and certain out-of-pocket expenses if your trip is interrupted for a covered reason after you have left.
- Emergency Medical Transportation arranges and pays for the cost to medically transport you to an appropriate medical facility to receive care and to get you home after you have received care related to a covered injury or illness.
- Emergency Medical / Dental Coverage reimburses for the cost of covered emergency medical dental care incurred while on your trip.
- Collision/Loss Damage for Rental Cars covers cost if your rental car is stolen or is damaged in an accident.*
- Lost or Stolen Baggage provides reimbursement if your baggage is lost, damaged or stolen while you are traveling.
- Baggage Delay provides reimbursement for the purchase of reasonable essential items during your trip if your luggage is delayed for 24 hours or more.
- Travel Delay provides reimbursement to cover reasonable additional meals and accommodations due to a departure delay of 6 or more hours.
- Missed Connection covers expenses resulting from a covered delay that causes you to miss your schedule flight or cruise.
* Coverage is not available for all vehicle types, nor in all countries.
Q: Won't my credit card, homeowner's policy, or medical insurance give me the coverage I need when I'm traveling?
You should check these policies before you travel to assess just how you would be covered in case you have an emergency.
Credit cards and homeowner's policies. Credit cards and homeowner's policies may not cover everything you need to protect. Their coverage may not extend to the non-refundable deposits and payments you’ve made if you need to cancel or interrupt your vacation due to circumstances such as a medical emergency or bad weather that completely shuts down your common carrier or being called for jury duty. If they do provide coverage, it's often limited, depending on the type of card you use or the coverage you have with your homeowner's policy, and filing a claim could increase your premium costs.
Health insurance. Most U.S. health insurance benefits are reduced when policyholders travel out of network and don’t provide coverage outside the U.S. More importantly, if you need medical transportation from another U.S. city back home it could cost thousands of dollars in out of pocket expenses. Medical transportation from a foreign city back home to the U.S. is not usually covered.
Travel insurance can help protect your trip costs and can cover gaps left by these other plans.
Q: What will the 24-hour hotline service do for me?
Allianz Global Assistance's 24-hour hotline is staffed with multilingual specialists who can help you with all types of situations from anywhere in the world, from reporting lost baggage to getting emergency medical treatment. They can also help you replace passports, refer you to legal assistance, secure cash in case of emergency and guarantee payment to gain admission into a hospital.
Q: When is the best time to purchase travel protection in order to be covered?
You can buy travel protection up until the day before you leave on your trip. For supplier default coverage and existing medical conditions coverage (may not be available in all plans) make sure you buy travel protection within 14 days of making your initial trip deposit/payment. Terms, conditions, and exclusions apply. See Terms and Conditions for further details.
Q: If I cancel my trip, do I get all of my money back?
No. Trip cancellation coverage refunds prepaid, nonrefundable payments if you have to cancel your trip for one of the reasons covered by your policy. Covered reasons may include the following: sudden medical emergencies, financial default of a covered airline, cruise line or tour operator, bad weather, terrorist incidents, and jury duty. Changing your mind about taking a trip or having certain business obligations are not covered. If you cancel your trip for a covered reason, you must notify your travel supplier(s) within 72 hours of the occurrence, otherwise the right to compensation will lapse.
Q: Questions about the Existing Medical Condition Coverage.
What is an existing medical condition?
An existing medical condition is an illness or injury that you, a traveling companion or family member were seeking or receiving treatment for or had symptoms of on the day you purchased your plan, or at any time in the 120 days before you purchased it. Please also note that you may still be covered for losses caused by reasons other than those related to an existing medical condition.
What is the existing medical conditions exclusion?
The plan does not cover losses or expenses if they result directly or indirectly from an illness or injury that you, a traveling companion or family member were seeking or receiving treatment for or had symptoms of on the day you purchased your plan, or at any time in the 120 days before you purchased it.
If I have an existing medical condition, can I still purchase insurance?
Yes. On select products, we offer existing medical condition coverage. Please refer to the Certificate of Insurance/Policy for specific criteria that applies to each plan. See Term and Conditions.
Please also note that you may still be covered for losses caused by other reasons other than those related to an existing medical condition.
Q: Who provides the insurance for these plans?
Insurance coverage is underwritten by BCS Insurance Company (OH, Administrative Office: Oakwood Terrace, IL), rated “A-“ (Excellent) by A.M. Best Co., under BCS Form No. 52.201 series or 52.401 series, or Jefferson Insurance Company (NY, Administrative Office: Richmond, VA), rated “A” (Excellent) by A.M. Best Co., under Jefferson Form No. 101-C series or 101-P series, depending on the insured’s state. Allianz Global
Assistance and Allianz Travel Insurance are brands of AGA Service Company. AGA Service Company is the licensed producer and administrator of this plan and an affiliate of Jefferson Insurance Company. The insured shall not receive any special benefit or advantage because of the affiliation between AGA Service Company and Jefferson Insurance Company.