International Driving Permit
An International Driving Permit, often incorrectly referred to as an International Driver's License, is valid in 150 countries worldwide. It serves as both a driver's license and ID, containing your name, photo and driver information in 10 languages. An IDP is available through select AAA offices.
AAA is one of only two private entities in the U.S. authorized by the U.S. Department of State to issue an IDP. An IDP is recommended for international travelers – even if you are not planning to drive. Some countries require an IDP. IDPs may only be issued a maximum of six (6) months in advance of the desired effective date.
How to Apply for an IDP
To obtain an International Driving Permit, you will need to provide:
- Download and fill out an application, and bring it to a AAA branch office that offers IDP service. (Please check in advance to ensure IDP services are offered.)
- Two original passport pictures (Many AAA branch offices offer photo services. Please check in advance.)
- A valid U.S. driver's license
- Pay a $20 USD permit fee
If you are not able to visit a AAA branch office with IDP services, your IDP can be obtained through the mail. Simply mail the following to the AAA office nearest you offering IDPs (check locally for availability and payment options):
- Your completed IDP application
- Two original passport pictures each signed on the back
- $20 USD permit fee
- A photocopy of both sides of your driver's license
- If desired, include additional U.S. funds for expedited return mail service. See USPS.com, Fedex.com or UPS.com for rates.
Get AAA Hertz Coupon for Additional Savings!
AAA Members can save $20 at Hertz on optional services for an IDP.
If you have additional questions or are already overseas, see this page for more information.